What is your relationship to CIM?
I love people with Type 1 diabetes!
What do you like about volunteering?
- It allows me to give back to a community that has meant so much to my family.
- Connecting with people. It provides me with an opportunity to engage with those living with type 1 outside of a clinical setting. I always walk away having learned so much about the lived experience which I hope strengthens my work as an HCP.
- It’s fun! and I get to be creative.
What does the Type 1 diabetes community mean to you?
- The diabetes community is inspiring.
- It’s witnessing a group of unique individuals with a common link, helping to build each other up and make the journey a little bit easier and a little less lonely.
- It’s strength in numbers!
What volunteering have you done with CIM?
- I came up with the idea of the 5.5er trip, helped with development/implementation (in the early years)
- Helped organize the first CIM photo scavenger hunt in Toronto
- Volunteered at Slipstream in the City
- Helped organize and run CIM volleyball tournaments
- Part of the program team for Summer Slipstream (Ontario, 2016) – big game, 5.5er talk, etc.
- Helped with the teen (transition) canoe trip (2016, 2017) – promoting, attending trip as HCP
- Member of selection committee for expedition trips