TO APPLY: Please forward resume and availability to email@example.com
Volunteer Position: Type 1 diabetes Teen Canoe Trip Mentors
Teen Trip #1: Sunday July 16 – Tuesday July 18, Rain Lake, Algonquin Park (3 day)
Teen Trip #2: Wednesday July 19 – Friday July 21, Rain Lake, Algonquin Park (3 day)
Teen Trip #3: Monday July 24 – Thursday July 27, Canoe Lake, Algonquin Park (4 day)
ABOUT CONNECTED IN MOTION
Connected in Motion’s mission is to foster a community of people living with Type 1 diabetes so that they may inspire one another to live life without limits.
We are people with Type 1 diabetes who share a vision:
To create a culture of support and engagement in diabetes self-management through peer-based experiential diabetes education, sport and outdoor adventure pursuits. By creating a community that is motivating, supporting and inspiring individuals to take charge of their health today, we are helping to improve the quality of life for people with diabetes now and tomorrow.
CIM is recruiting adult mentors with Type 1 diabetes to join us on our Teen Canoe Trips this summer. Ideal mentors would be excited about sharing their experiences with Type 1 diabetes as well as their passion for the outdoors and adventure with a group of 8 teens (ages 15-18) whom are also living with Type 1 diabetes. These trips are introductory skills trips, allowing teens with no tripping experience to join us and enjoy some nights on the lake and under the stars. We are recruiting mentors to work with CIM’s Adventure Coordinator and guides during one (or more!) of the above out-trips, helping to enhance programming, share skills, and guide conversations about life with Type 1 diabetes. Each Teen Trip will include at least 8 teens, 2 adventure guides, 1 healthcare provider, and 2-3 mentors.
- Assisting with outdoor skill training and modeling (fire building, campsite set-up, general outdoor living skills, etc)
- Engaging with and initiating group discussion around life with Type 1 diabetes
- Assisting with canoe tripping skill training and modeling (paddling, portaging, etc)
- Leading group icebreakers, games, and evening activities
The following skills, abilities, and qualifications are required of the position:
- Personal experience in the outdoors – camping, paddling, backpacking, etc.
- Passion for healthy, active living
- Experience and a passion for healthy living and life with Type 1 diabetes
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Ability to transport oneself to and from program locations, etc.
- Understanding and experience with risk management protocols, specifically with relation to outdoor adventure programming
- Vulnerable Sectors Screening
The following skills, abilities, and qualifications are considered assets of the position:
- Water safety certification (NLS or SRT preferred; Bronze Med also an asset)
- Experiential education facilitation experience
- Diploma or degree related to outdoor adventure, teaching, health promotion
- Wilderness First Aid (First Responder, Advanced First Aid, General First Aid)
- Teaching experience
This is a volunteer position. Connected in Motion will, of course, provide all trip food and gear. Pre-trip training will be provided either in person, or virtually.