It’s been over a year since Animas announced its exit from the Insulin Pump market and we wanted to provide an update about the options that are out there for those who have been holding on tight to their Pings and Vibes.
If you have questions or something you’d like crowd-sourced and answered, share your question with us by sending us an email at: email@example.com
Disclaimer: Please check out CIM’s Partners Page to learn more about the companies we work with. This post was not paid for and does not represent sponsored content, but it’s important to recognize that we may be biased based on the fact that some companies highlighted below support CIM in different ways. We still thought this info was important for you to know about.
THINGS TO KNOW
- Most warrantied Animas Users can now upgrade to the Medtronic Minimed 670G. A 1-year subscription to sensors may be required
- Omnipod is offering a free PDM not only to Animas users, but to anyone with an active warranty on a Medtronic or Tandem Diabetes Care pump, too
- Tandem Diabetes Care has been added to the Insulin Pump Programs in Manitoba and Saskatchewan – Other provincial programs are in the works
As a recap, Animas announced its exit of the Insulin Pump business on October 5, 2017. They made the decision to work with the team at Medtronic to create a transition option for any Animas pumpers. Medtronic was the partner company of choice as it offered the pump most that most closely fit the needs profile of Animas Pumper and currently has operations in all of the markets that Animas served customers.
There are some folks out there who have been holding off on making their transition to a new pump therapy. This blog post is for you! Make sure you know your options, know what’s new, and are getting ready to make a change. As a reminder, Animas plans to exit the market on September 30, 2018. Best to get moving and not be stuck in any rush among other Pumpers who are holding on to the bitter end.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- It doesn’t matter whether your warranty end date is before or after September 30, 2019. The Animas Exchange Program has been expanded and anyone with an Animas pump that has more than 60 days remaining on their warranty is able to transition to a Medtronic Pump now.
- There seems to be a lot of confusion about the warranty on the Medtronic pump. It is important to understand that the warranty remaining from your Animas pump will be transferred to your Medtronic pump. In other words, the Medtronic pump will not have a 4-year warranty it will have the remaining warranty period from your Animas pump.
- As of January 14, 2019, if your warrantied Animas pump goes down, you will now have that replaced with a Medtronic Pump. Prior to January 14, you would have received an Animas Pump. To note: The transition to a Medtronic pump can take a little time. If your Animas pump is not safe for you to continue using, you will receive an Animas pump until training on the new Medtronic pump can be completed. Then you’ll give the loaned pump back. Also to note: There are some exceptions to this rule as there are some individuals for whom which a pump transition now could cause risky challenges. They will be accommodated.
CURRENT OPTIONS FOR WARRANTIED ANIMAS PUMPERS
To note, these are the opportunities out there for anyone with an Animas Pump whose warranty is currently active.
You can make the transition for free to the Medtronic 630g pump. You’ll receive the 630g pump and its linking glucose meter for $0. If interested, get in touch with Medtronic by clicking here or calling 1-800-284-4416.
You can NOW also make the transition to the Medtronic 670g pump by opting in to a 12-month CGM subscription. Their current offer will provide a free Guardian Link 3 Transmitter (Retail: $800) and one free box of sensors in return for opting into the 12-month subscription. The 12-month subscription program involves the purchase of 1-box of 5-sensors per month. One box currently costs $399. There is a special offer going on now – If you commit before January 25, 2019 you can receive 20% off the cost of sensors in your subscription plan. After January 25, 2019 you can expect to save 10%. You’ll also receive a linking Contour Next Link 2.4 meter, a box of reservoirs and a box of infusion sets.
As a reminder, you need to use the Medtronic Guardian 3 CGM in order to get the benefits of the 670g over a 630g.
To learn more about the Exchange Program, click here.
Anyone wearing any Canadian brand of insulin pump that is under warranty qualifies for the Omnipod ‘Cut the Cord’ program.
By taking advantage of this program, you’ll receive a free Omnipod PDM (the part that controls your pump – a $6300 value) with your first purchase of a box of pods (10 pods = $300). That PDM remains under warranty until your current pump’s warranty expires.
**THIS OFFER EXPIRES ON JUNE 30, 2019
If you would like to take advantage, call an Omnipod specialist at 1-844-207-9982.
TANDEM DIABETES CARE
In early October 2019, Tandem Diabetes Care’s t:slim X2 Insulin Pump was approved for sale here in Canada. The next steps for a company once a Health Canada approval happens to involve… more approvals. For anything from user guides to provincial program inclusion, to insurance plan coverage. The team at Tandem Diabetes Care is still waiting for several of these approvals to clear before they can get physical pumps into the hands of people living with Diabetes.
It is not yet known whether there will be offers made to Animas pumpers who are still under warranty and are waiting to move to a t:slim X2 pump. As soon as we here more, you’ll be the first to know!
CURRENT OPTIONS FOR NON-WARRANTIED ANIMAS PUMPERS
These are the people who have been ready for an upgrade for a while. You can move forward as any new or ‘returning’ pumper would. Check out what opportunities your province provides with regard to funding, learn about the pump options that are out there, and get hands-on with making your decision.
There are the current pumps available in Canada. Check out our previous blogs about their key features:
– If you have any questions, contact Omnipod at 1-844-207-9982